Re: Last Call: draft-daboo-srv-caldav (Use of SRV records for locating CalDAV and CardDAV services) to Proposed Standard

2010-06-23 14:21:03
Hi Patrik,

--On June 22, 2010 8:54:22 AM +0200 Patrik Fältström <paf(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

I have together with Olaf Kolkman suggested a new RR type that I call URI
that work similarly to what is described in this draft (regarding the
owner of the RRSET), but a URI in the RDATA. It has been posted to the
namedroppers list a few times...but maybe that has been wrong. Maybe Apps
Area should have been notified about the work a bit more...

Cyrus has asked a few questions about it, and maybe it is me that have
not reached out to the Caldav people enough? I have tried to push it
through via the DNS people in the IETF, but there have not been enough
traction.

I did chat with a few server implementors about this and the feeling was SRV + .well-known is a good solution that can quickly be deployed. Some points:

1) SRV's are very deployable today - a new RR will be harder to deploy.

2) There is a push to support SRV's with other protocols (e.g. draft-daboo-srv-email for IMAP, POP3, and Submission) so from an operational standpoint its likely to be more common.

3) .well-known is useful in the absence of any DNS records. i.e. if no SRV/URI were available, a client can still try auto-discovery by attempting an HTTP connection to the host (derived from user input) and the .well-known path.

--
Cyrus Daboo