Re: Last Call: draft-daboo-srv-caldav (Use of SRV records for locating CalDAV and CardDAV services) to Proposed Standard

2010-06-24 11:24:23
Hi Paul,

--On June 24, 2010 8:59:18 AM -0700 Paul Hoffman <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:

As someone who normally has that "different view", I support a new RRTYPE
in this case because the option of reusing SRV is not sufficient: it
requires DNS-SRV-followed-by-HTTP. I think a new RRTYPE that keeps the
DNS lookup entirely in the DNS protocol far outweighs reusing SRV but
requiring HTTP on both sides.

"in this case" as in the draft under discussion? If so, I don't don't understand your position. The protocols/services being referenced by the draft are HTTP protocols, so it is always going to be SRV-followed-by-HTTP. What is more, simply getting a generic host/path is not sufficient for client configuration - additional steps are required to find the principal resource of the user for whom the client is setting up an "account" (as described in the draft).

--
Cyrus Daboo