RE: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00

2010-06-28 11:36:31
Scott Lawrence wrote:
I think that a different numbering series needs to be created so that
'RFC' means what most people (incorrectly) think that it means now:
that
something is a standard that has passed the IETF review and approval
process.

I think this is far too late. Come what may, RFC 1149 (just to take one
deliberately extreme example) is forever going to be RFC 1149, it's too
late to rename it now. Separating the categories while still using RFC
with legacy examples is just not possible. Telling people "you can't
still call it an RFC" is not going to work.

Only standards track documents should get an RFC number, and
all others (Informational, Experimental, Historic, and any other
archival documents we invent that are not standards track) should get
numbers in this new series (IAP - Internet Archived Publication ?)
instead.

There are a lot of important RFCs that aren't standards track, often
more
important than some on the standards track. For example (not the best,
just
one I happen to have to hand) RFC 2309 is the only IETF document I'm
aware
of that describes RED, but it is Informational, not Standards Track.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687