Re: motivations

2010-06-29 04:08:55
Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

The fact remains that RFC 821 has the STANDARD imprimatur and the better
specification that was intended to replace it does not.

It seems pretty basic to me that when you declare a document Obsolete it
should lose its STANDARD status. But under the current system that does not
happen.

We could write a draft to move RFC 821 to Historic, though.  Then it
would lose its full standard status.  Are there any reasons not to do
that?

I don't think we want implementers to read RFC 821 except for historical
purposes, and instead want them to read RFC 5321.  Moving RFC 821 to
Historic would convey that message, I believe.

/Simon