RE: WG Review: Call Control UUI for SIP (cuss)

2010-06-29 12:16:55
ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] on behalf
of Cullen Jennings [fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
As far as I can tell, the WG says they wants to transfer some
information to achieve cross vendor interoperability. However, what I
believe the charter is actually going to do is exactly the opposite of
that. When you get your head around what this charter is proposing, it
is going to form a more or less opaque container for transporting
proprietary information in a SIP header. It's hard to imagine how this
will help interoperability.

It depends on how you look at it.  E.g., one can look at TCP as being
a "more or less opaque container for transporting proprietary
information".  The critical question is whether the information is
stuff that the IETF wants to standardize.

As far as I can tell, ISDN provides a specific endpoint-to-endpoint
opaque transport that this charter seeks to imitate.  That the
carried information is proprietary is important only if we wish to
standardize the endpoint interactions in question.

The charter seems to demand that the SIP mechanism would at least tag
the transported information:

User data of the mechanism will be clearly marked with the
application, encoding, semantics, and content type, allowing policy to
be applied by UAs.  The working group will define the information that
each application must specify to utilize the mechanism. This type of
application-specific information will be specified in standards-track
documents.

This seems to be a step more open than the current ISDN facility.

Dale