Errata [was on yam] Referencing 1652bis and update to RFC 5321/5322

2010-07-01 10:57:26
On 30/Jun/10 17:52, Jari Arkko wrote:
John  [Klensin],
and I'm keenly aware of the fact that
errata, even "approved" errata, do not constitute community
consensus documents, but,

I am with you on that.

IMHO, this is a point that may be worth enhancing. From a functional POV, it is not possible for users to vote, discuss, or subscribe to an erratum, a feature that current bug tracking tools offer out of the box.

In addition, an errata status of, say, "implementation mismatch" is missing. It could be used to report that (some versions of) an implementation are not compliant on a specific detail. I'm not saying the IETF should systematically track each and every implementation. However, accepting non-compliance reports is a means to track how much popularity specific parts of a protocol have gained.

From a user-interface POV, it is difficult to realize that errata exist about a specific passage. For example, background color, margin marks, or footnotes could be used to draw the reader's attention to existing errata.

I do not believe the IESG is saying that everyone should be using errata
from now on. There is certainly some frustration in the community and
sometimes in some of my fellow ADs about the time it takes to produce an
RFC, and that does sometimes lead people to not bother with doing it,
relying on Internet drafts, errata, common sense, their own memories or
their code base to reflect what the true protocol behaviour should be. I
still think its better to publish RFCs. (And for the record, I do not
believe it is that hard.)

Collecting consensus on specific changes --unbound from any charter or time-frame-- may help identifying which parts of which RFCs need a revision.

JM2C