Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-05 13:28:51
<wearing no hats>

On Jul 5, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 7/5/2010 9:05 AM, Alissa Cooper wrote:
In discussing the policy with the IAOC and others, it seems clear that the RFC model is probably not the best model for maintaining and updating a document
like this.

While I could imagine that you are correct, the answer isn't at all clear to me.

Presumably it should represent community consensus and should not change all that often. And having an archival copy makes sense. So I'm not understanding why it should not be published as an RFC.

I assume (for I do not know) that people are worried about time involved in bringing a new RFC to publication.

I don't see why this couldn't be divided in the way that the Trust Legal Provisions have been :

- a RFC to set the _goals_ and basic framework of the privacy policy, which might change something like every 5 years (or less often if we are lucky) and

- an IAOC document for the actual privacy policy itself, which could be changed very quickly if (say) lawyers started beating down the doors.

Regards
Marshall

Please clarify.

Thanks.

d/

ps. I, too, like the idea of having the policy. I'm only asking about its form.

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking