Re: Protocol for TCP heartbeats?

2010-07-14 12:42:51
Ted,

The obvious problem is that heartbeats can thus sit in transmit buffer waiting to be delivered. They can even be retransmitted. Etc. In any case the functionality they are supposed to provide is pretty heavily distorted.

FWIW, I don't think it matters if the keepalives are stuck in a TCP
transmit buffer or in a multi-continent routing loop.  If the
application needs to hear from its peer every N seconds and it doesn't,
they're disconnected.

Yes. That's true for dumb keepalive algorithm as described in the previous email.

However, if you want something more sensible (presumably something like SCTP's heartbeats) you need to take current RTO into account. That's something you can't do on top of TCP.

If TCP can't meet an application's requirements, the developers need to use
something else.

Exactly. Moving to SCTP would solve the problem. However, what you see in the wild is thousands of applications implementing dumb (and pretty faulty) heartbeat strategies on top of TCP rather than moving to SCTP.

That's why I thought there may have been an attempt to standardise the heartbeat algorithm in the past.

Martin