Re: TSV-DIR review of draft-daboo-srv-caldav-05

2010-07-19 10:37:30

On 7/18/2010 11:05 AM, Patrik Faltstrom (pfaltstr) wrote:
On 18 jul 2010, at 19:18, "Joe Touch"<touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>  wrote:

That seems to means you use one of two different RRs, depending on the response.

I don't see that as a step forward.

No, the other way around. You, in a protocol, use either srv or uri
depending on wether you need more than hostname and port or a uri.

The point of SRVs is to provide a single way to find a service. When additional information is needed, it ought to be in an associated record (TXT or maybe a special URI one), but the host/port ought to remain in the SRV.

We can discuss this further next week. Note that I consider addressing this important but not a show-stopper on this doc. The only showstopper was the "alias" issue (i.e., that, IMO, the names need to be registered in the informal SRV registry, and that IANA ports aliases are not appropriate as a stop-gap until that registry is integrated as per the iana-ports doc).

Joe