Re: [78attendees] wanted: your old NAT home router

2010-07-22 00:53:40
Hi,

On 2010-7-20, at 21:00, Yuchung Cheng wrote:
This is very interesting study! it provides many useful information for the
TCP research at Google.

thanks! Let's chat at the IETF if there are any tests we can do that would make
the results even more relevant for you guys?

The queuing and processing delays on slide 12 (or figure 9 in the paper) are
mostly <50ms, but the following paper
"Characterizing residential broadband networks"  published in IMC 2007
measures much higher queuing length ranging from 100ms to a few secs
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1298306.1298313 figure 13).

Any idea about the differences?

We haven't looked into the details much. One factor may be that the delay
numbers we measured where taken at the same time we did the bulk throughput
measurements, and they only used a single connection up and/or down. And IIRC
we measured the delay experience by that connection and not the delay
experienced by other connections through the box at the time. It may also be
that our population is home gateways is newer (= better?) than the one measured
by the IMC paper. We'll attempt to look into this more deeply during the next
phase of the study.

Lars

Thanks,

Yuchung

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Lars Eggert
<lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com<mailto:lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:
Hi,

a quick status update. We now have received over 100 donated home gateways,
plus a DSLAM. The students are on their summer break, after which we'll start
running a significantly expanded set of tests over this much larger
population of devices.

Many of yo have donated boxes and suggested more experiments and better ways
of performing our current tests - thank you!

In case you are attending IETF-78 in Maastricht and would like to donate a
home gateway, simply bring it. (Or contact me now for shipping details; no
cost to you.)

We're especially interested in devices from outside the EU and North America,
or any other model we may not have yet (see
http://fit.nokia.com/lars/tmp/2010-hgw-study-devices.txt). And we're still
lacking a CMTS for testing cable modems...

See you in Maastricht,
Lars