Re: Historic Moment - Root zone of the Internet was just signed minutes ago!!!

2010-07-22 09:55:25
What Mark is saying here is that DNSSEC is not designed to provide
very much security and so does not need to be very secure.

What I am saying is that people are already assuming that DNSSEC
provides a very much higher standard of security and that this is
going to lead to new security failures. Remember that an initial
response to the Kaminsky attack from at least one vendor was that DNS
was designed to be vulnerable to cache poisoning.

I see three options

1) Cancel DNSSEC

Not happening, move on.

2) Educate people so that they understand exactly what security DNSSEC
is going to provide.

Good luck with that one. People will do silly things, ignore all the
warning labels and then blame the protocol. There is a real risk that
some will sue. And telling people that DNSSEC is not going to secure
the Internet is not going to be very easy while Vint Cerf is out there
telling people that it is.

3) Design a DNSSEC 2.0 that meets the expectations.

Which is I think a lot easier than it may appear.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Masataka Ohta