Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

2010-07-22 09:54:33
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 7/21/2010 3:33 PM, John Levine wrote:

You appear to be concerned about exposing the IETF to risk by the
adoption of a privacy policy (but apologies if I am misunderstanding
the concern you expressed).  The absence of a privacy policy, however,
actually increases risk to the IETF in at least three ways:

 ... none of which applies since

a) the IETF has no formal legal existence

With creation of the IETF Trust, that is no longer true.  There also have
been comments from one or another attorney that the absence of formal legal
formation is not the same as no "formal" legal existence.  All of which at
least suggests, once again, that we ought to leave legal pronouncements to
attorneys (and even then, seek a second opinion.)

Especially when what is being suggested is an exception to the normal
case. In general, the more different a legal situation is, the more
important it is to take regular and specific legal advice.

A => B does not mean that !A => !B.

That is called denying the antecedent.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/