Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

2010-07-23 23:31:07

On 7/24/2010 6:11 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
I am not personally convinced that another policy is a good idea,
especially if it has no practical consequences;

At this point, I'd go further and say /specifically/ if it has no practical consequences.

To the point:

A 'policy' does not mean much if it does not affect behaviors. If instead it is to affect behaviors, then those behaviors need to be specified.

The IETF has people who act as its agents. Some of those agents have access to information that can be considered sensitive.

We should stop talking about this topic as if we were lawyers and start talking as if we cared about how agents of the IETF handle sensitive information. That is what I understand the practical purpose of a privacy policy to be.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking