Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

2010-07-21 19:18:48
Dear Dave;

On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 7/21/2010 3:33 PM, John Levine wrote:
You appear to be concerned about exposing the IETF to risk by the
adoption of a privacy policy (but apologies if I am misunderstanding
the concern you expressed). The absence of a privacy policy, however,
actually increases risk to the IETF in at least three ways:

 ... none of which applies since

a) the IETF has no formal legal existence

With creation of the IETF Trust, that is no longer true. There also have been comments from one or another attorney that the absence of formal legal formation is not the same as no "formal" legal existence. All of which at least suggests, once again, that we ought to leave legal pronouncements to attorneys (and even then, seek a second opinion.)

b) the IETF has no employees

Well, again, there's a formal correctness to that statement and a practical incorrectness.

We come close - from BCP 101
The IASA consists initially of a single full-time ISOC employee, the IETF Administrative Director (IAD), who is entitled to act on behalf of the IASA at the direction of the IAOC.

c) the IETF signs no contracts

I was under the impression that the IAOC now signs the event contracts. But perhaps that's not correct.

ISOC signs any such contracts.

Regards
Marshall

It would be helpful for someone, anyone, to explain in terms specific
to the IETF what a privacy policy will accomplish.

Ahh, well.  That's a good idea, not matter your earlier assertions.

d/
--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking