Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

2010-07-23 23:12:21
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:59:49PM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
I must admit that I am not following this. What organization are you
talking about ?
ISOC ? The IETF Trust ? Something else ?

The analogy coming from those arguing for the privacy policy has been,
in part, "The IETF should have a privacy policy because N has one,"
where N is some non-IETF organization.  One of them seems to be ISOC,
although the policy itself is reputedly partly taken from that of the
CDT.

I believe John Levine's point, up-thread, was that differences in the
way the IETF operates, as compared to those other organizations (for
all N, that is), are entirely relevant to whether the IETF needs a
privacy policy.

I am not personally convinced that another policy is a good idea,
especially if it has no practical consequences; though I'm not willing
just now to say that I think it's a bad idea.  I'd just like clearer
arguments as justifications.  One thing that would help me a lot is
for those justifications to be part of an introduction in the I-D.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.