Re: IETF privacy policy - still a bad idea

2010-07-23 22:27:35
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 05:22:26PM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:

We certainly live with some complicated arrangements...

Without wishing to weigh in on whether the privacy policy is a good
idea, I think that "living with" was an important part of John
Levine's argument up-thread.  In many cases, the actual governing
organization that actually gets hold of the bit of PII isn't the IETF
at all.  It's the privacy policy of _that_ organization that's going
to govern for real the treatment of the PII.  This makes the analogy
between the IETF and other privacy-policy-having organizations weaker.
So if you think having a privacy policy is a good idea, and you think
so because other organizations have such a policy, you'll need to show
why the analogy between the IETF and other organizations is strong in
relevant ways.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.