What does a privacy policy mean?

2010-07-24 14:38:04
What I don't understand is the amount of arm wrestling that happens on this
list.

You're certainly right, there's a culture of nitpicking. In this case I think some of the issues are nitpicks, while some are significant. The IETF is very peculiarly organized, which suggests that it would need a somewhat peculiar privacy policy. Here are some questions that I think are not nits:

Although the IETF per se has no legal existence, ISOC, the IETF Trust, and perhaps other things I haven't noticed do. How should an IETF privacy policy relate to the ISOC's existing privacy policy? Does the IETF Trust need a privacy policy?

The IETF potentially collects PII in various ways, including publication of Internet Drafts and RFCs, messages on mailing lists, registration info for meetings, and activities in meetings. Meeting activites include paper documents (meeting attendance sheets), electronic session presentation material, oral session material which is transmitted over the voice feeds, jabber chats, and random traffic sent over meeting networks. Are there other forms of PII? Should a privacy policy treat them all the same, or differently?

Some people have argued that it should be possible to participate in some or all IETF processes while remaining partly or completely anonymous. Is this a reasonable expectation?

R's,
John