Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-08 14:15:00
+1 on all counts.

Now looking forward to a debate over the ASCII art... ;-)

On 7/8/10 1:07 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
+1 for a privacy policy. As to the question of this particular one,
I'm going to profess some level of ignorance. I suggested starting
from Google, Cisco, and/or ISOC's privacy policies and editing from
there, and someone said I should pick a more appropriate starting
point. What would be appropriate privacy policies to
compare/contrast?

Personally, apart from references to ISOC-specific things, I thought
ISOC's privacy policy was relatively simple and covered the major
points. The draft is more detailed and more complete. The differences
may be a matter of taste: look at http://www.isoc.org/help/privacy/
and ask yourself whether the provisions in "what do we collect" and
"what do we do with it" are reflected in the draft, and I think you
might agree that they are, with the draft being more explicit in
different areas. But I think that the ISOC rules, when considered in
an IETF light, are actually the same. We collect things that are
standardly collected, but we don't share them, and we do use them to
make our internal processes work better.

If there are others to compare/contrast, to see if we have missed a
point or are stating for something not usually said, I'd be
interested to know.

I would agree that this statement should be made by someone in I*
leadership, either the IESG, IAOC, or perhaps IAB, and that it
belongs on a web page as opposed to being in an RFC.

I would suggest that a consensus be called for via a hum over VoIPv6.
But the web page should be in flat ASCII with no graphics other than
ASCII-art.