Re: Comments on <draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt>

2010-07-09 07:17:07
Hi Randy,

[ fwiw, i am not bothered if some folk well-versed in such things
  develop and put forth a policy about how the ietf treats data
  about members, attendees, network, ... ]

And "yes" we have researchers looking into the traffic, people storing
all sorts of data, etc.

we do?  about our traffic on the ietf meeting network?  stuff other than
the _ephemeral_ data the noc ops use to manage the network?

Yes, the IETF meeting network.

as far as i know

  o data collection has been done very rarely.  and when it has been, it
    has been widely announced.

Openness and transparency is one of the privacy principles.
(but there are others...)

  o there is no plan known by the net ops to do so in maastricht or
    beijing at either of those meetings.

I don't know. There is no central place where I could lookup any of this info.

  o aside from issues in the wireless deployment, the data about net use
    at ietf meeings seems pretty boring to me from a research view

Maybe boring for you.
Some consider it a very large WLAN network, some others test their favorite
tunneling technology with it, etc.

  o but i am sure there are wifi spies snooping and playing.  and i
    suspect that they will not be very respectful of any policy put in
    place.

You have to see all privacy principles in combination in order for them to make
sense.

given the latter, i focus more on prudent personal net hygene and less
on prose.
That's fine.

Ciao
Hannes