Re: Comments on <draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt>

2010-07-09 07:04:43
[ fwiw, i am not bothered if some folk well-versed in such things
  develop and put forth a policy about how the ietf treats data
  about members, attendees, network, ... ]

And "yes" we have researchers looking into the traffic, people storing
all sorts of data, etc.

we do?  about our traffic on the ietf meeting network?  stuff other than
the _ephemeral_ data the noc ops use to manage the network?

as far as i know

  o data collection has been done very rarely.  and when it has been, it
    has been widely announced.

  o there is no plan known by the net ops to do so in maastricht or
    beijing at either of those meetings.

  o aside from issues in the wireless deployment, the data about net use
    at ietf meeings seems pretty boring to me from a research view

  o but i am sure there are wifi spies snooping and playing.  and i
    suspect that they will not be very respectful of any policy put in
    place.

given the latter, i focus more on prudent personal net hygene and less
on prose.

randy