Re: IETF privacy policy - update

2010-07-08 01:02:16

On Jul 5, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Alissa Cooper wrote:

A few months ago I drew up a strawman proposal for a public-facing IETF
privacy policy (http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cooper-privacy-policy-00.txt).
I've submitted an update based on feedback received:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt

In discussing the policy with the IAOC and others, it seems clear that the
RFC model is probably not the best model for maintaining and updating a
document like this. It is more likely to fall within the scope of the IAOC
and/or the Trust. In order for the IAOC to consider taking this on and
devoting resources to figuring out what its format should be, they need to
hear from the community that a public-facing privacy policy is something that
the community wants. So I have two requests for those with any interest in
this:

1) Respond on this list if you support the idea of the IETF having a privacy
policy (a simple "+1" will do).

+1

2) If you have comments and suggestions about the policy itself, send them to
this list.

I would be very happy if the IETF adopted the privacy policy proposed in your
draft.

It seems to me the work of writing an acceptable policy is 90% done and the
arguments that creating a privacy policy will detract from other work are
pretty weak. It's a volunteer organization, people vote with their feet with
what they want to work on. Just because Alissa spend time writing a policy
document does not mean that time would be directed to other things if we did
not want to do a privacy policy document. I don't think that having a privacy
policy is going to bring a bunch of new contributors to the IETF, but I can
imagine a case where the lack of a privacy policy caused some administrative
group to do something really unfortunate which resulted in some good people
leaving the IETF.

A privacy policy is not something the IETF typically has a lot of people that
are really experienced and qualified to draft. But we are very lucky here - we
have multiple people that understand IETF culture and values, understand
internet privacy policies and laws, and are willing to write a proposal. Unless
this proposal is deeply flawed in some way I can't see, why wouldn't we just do
it.