RE: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-16 10:51:04

I think Vancouver would be an excellent city for a recurring
North American meeting.  There is a reasonable convenience
factor in terms of nearby hotels, restuarants and food
markets (there's an excellent one just a couple blocks from
the venue).  However, based on the poll, it seemed that folks
preferred Quebec City, which suggests that the majority of
folks don't favor the idea of returning to the same city.

One thing this suggests to me is that the people who are prone
to taking the survey favour the idea of variety.  I dismember
how many survey responses we had, and how the responses broke
down when categorized by number of IETF meetings attended, so
I can't be sure, here.  But I'm guessing that many of the
meeting is, and that not so many came from the folks who are
relatively new and are considering increasing their
participation.

I waded through the various responses in the survey (the link having been
conveniently sent out a few days ago), and it does indeed seem that the
preference for variety was a significant factor (it being mentioned by many of
the survey participants). I am not sure whether it is safe to extrapolate this
to the conclusion that people don't want to rotate between just a few cities on
a long term basis.

Ross