RE: IETF Logo Wear

2010-08-16 23:14:46
Classic:

IP over everything

(dog optional)

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Mark Nottingham
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 8:05 PM
To: Fred Baker
Cc: wgchairs(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF Logo Wear

That's going to be hard to fit on a t-shirt, Fred.

*ducks*

On 17/08/2010, at 8:34 AM, Fred Baker wrote:

IEN 111, August 1979. The preface reads:

This document describes the Internet Protocol.  There have been three
previous editions of this specification, and the present text draws
heavily from them.  There have been many contributors to this document
both in terms of concepts and in terms of text.

                                                          Jon Postel
                                                          Editor

I suspect that, as editor, he would blanch a bit at finding anything there
attributed specifically to *him*; he would have said - and on occasion did
say - "I was there", but would go on to point out that there were many
contributors and many contributions. That said, it is the first instance I
can find of the Robustness Principle:

 The implementation of a protocol must be robust.  Each implementation
must expect to interoperate with others created by different
individuals.  While the goal of this specification is to be explicit
about the protocol there is the possibility of differing
interpretations.  In general, an implementation should be conservative
in its sending behavior, and liberal in its receiving behavior.  That
is, it should be careful to send well-formed datagrams, but should
accept any datagram that it can interpret (e.g., not object to
technical errors where the meaning is still clear).

The comment, in various forms, is repeated in IENs 112, 123, 124, 128, and
129, and in RFCs 760, 761, 791, and 793.