Re: IETF Logo Wear

2010-08-20 09:22:16
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 09:32:35AM -0700, Philip Nesser wrote:
IIRC the phrase started out as "IP over Everthing" back in the days when
there was still competing network protocols and we were writing standards
for IP over Infiniband,  IP over IEEE <blah>,  etc  since there were
"competing" protocols  X.25 over blah,  IPX over blah, CNLP over blah,
etc... and network adaptors were still fairly pricey.  At some point in the
mid-90s the emphasis started to shift and we started thinking of almost
anything being an "end point" and it became more "IP on Everything".

Of course, there's also "IP by carrier pigeon".

"IP on/over carrier pigeon" just doesn't sound right.  :-)

                                         - Ted