Re: Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

2010-09-10 08:57:18
Hi Keith,

--On September 10, 2010 1:40:16 AM -0400 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

But here's the acid test.  If you can define a mapping from iCalendar to
XML that doesn't require any string constants to describe it (other than
for iCalendar keywords that imply nesting, and separators that are used
in a regular fashion in iCalendar), and if you can define the inverse
mapping from XML to iCalendar without naming more than a couple of
specific element or parameter names - then I'll concede that the mapping
will probably continue to work in the face of extensions to the iCalendar
data model.   Otherwise, I'm highly dubious.

That is precisely the goal of draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml. iCalendar components, properties, parameters and values all map to XML in a consistent manner with no need to "special case" based on type or value. New components, properties, parameters, values, either registered with IANA or using X- prefixes map in exactly the same way.

Conversion to/from XML is trivial - I have coded at least one half of that and I know others who have done both ways.It should also be easy to put together an XSLT to go from XML to iCalendar - with the only possible difficulty being having to apply escaping and line folding as required by iCalendar.

--
Cyrus Daboo