IAOC volunteers (Re: NomCom 2010-2011: Call for More Nominations)

2010-09-16 19:14:12
NomCom Chair wrote:

Nominations have slowed down dramatically, so this update is to enlist
the community in an effort to pick up the pace.

We are very far behind in nominations for all the open positions but in
particular we need nominations for the IESG and IAOC open positions.
[...] Likewise, in IAOC there have been no nominations submitted
other than the incumbent.

The ongoing discussion on IAOC-related issues of meeting venue problems
on the IETF discussion list may not be a charming motivator for new
volunteers for IAOC positions.  :-/

Some of the complaints I've heard sound reasonable/plausible, but
what host and IAOC would probably need to start addressing issue
is sketches of clear and practical solution approaches to try
experimental remedies as soon as possible.  Dividing and conquering
the pool of alleged problems would probably help budgeting
remedy experiments in matter of resource requirements (time and money)
and in order to obtain feedback from the IETF community whether
a "proposed fix" is worth exploring and its priority.

It is likely neither possible to please everyone, or to assign every
problem topmost priority.  Scratching itches individually in
managable quantities may prevent the morale of IAOC volunteers,
which may have crashed through the floor by now, from dropping out
of sight and out of reach... ;-)

-Martin