Re: Nomcom 2010-2011: READ THIS: Important Information on Open Disclosure

2010-09-21 17:21:18
Tom,

On 2010-09-22 04:29, NomCom Chair wrote:
Hi Folks,

A few folks have submitted some very helpful comments and I'd like to
share the answers publicly.

Q: If the List is Open why does it require a Login?

A: As interpreted by this NomCom, the list is disclosed to the IETF
community but remains confidential within the IETF community.

Note the wording in RFC 5680:
"The NomCom may disclose a list of names of nominees who are willing to
be considered for positions under review to the community, in
order to obtain feedback from the community on these nominees."

The disclosure is only "to the community".  You must have a "community"
login to see the list.

Q:  Can I disclose the Open List of Willing Nominees outside the IETF
community?  Can I copy and distribute it or make it publicly available
outside the community?

A:  Well, I am not a lawyer but I would advise not to.  This NomCom
interprets the Open Disclosure as disclosing confidential information "to
the community" as supported by the wording in RFC 5680.

Maybe this is a bit over simplified, but if I tell you (i.e., the
Community) something confidential that does not mean you (i.e., a member
of the Community) can tell others.

NomCom is doing the disclosing to the group known as the IETF Community.
The IETF Community members are not authorized by this NomCom to disclose
it further.  Keep the list within the community.

I am a bit mystified. Since the IETF is open to anyone who cares
to participate, there is no finite community within which to keep
this list (or any other non-confidential information). Once the list
of willing candidates is released, it is just as public as anything
else in the IETF, as far as I can see. RFC 5680 is pretty clear
about this:

  "The
   process change described in this document allows the NomCom to openly
   solicit information about nominees who are willing to be considered."
and
  "The list of nominees willing to be considered for positions under
   review in the current NomCom cycle is not confidential."

      Brian