RE: Nomcom 2010-2011: READ THIS: Important Information on Open Disclosure

2010-09-22 15:07:13
All the points being raised are very worthy of discussion and I suggest these
be considered and clarified in a future update to RFC 5680 (should it be
needed).  Until there is such an update, NomCom must work with RFC 5680 as
written.

Open Disclosure and Feedback are closely tied per RFC 5680:
Note that Section 5, "Disclosing a Nominee List", of RFC 5680 specifically ties
disclosing a nominee list "as part of the NomCom's request for feedback from
the community". The disclosure by this NomCom is to support the feedback
process.

There is no language in RFC 5680 for the list to be disclosed for any other
purpose. Maybe that is a point to be addressed in the future.

Is Disclosure Mandated by RFC 5680:
----------------------------------
No, it is not.  RFC 5680 does not require any NomCom to disclose the list at
all nor to disclose the entire list for that matter.  Since this is the first
time the open disclosure has been instituted, NomCom is taking a careful
course.

In the past, such information was available only to a subset of the community.
Now, for this NomCom, it is available to anyone in the community who wants it
and it is easy to obtain.

How to disclose has not been specified:
How the Open Disclosure is implemented is not specified in RFC 5680.  If the
community wants to specify this in detail for future NomCom's that can
certainly be done.

The purpose of Open Disclosure is to allow feedback from the entire community
rather than a highly restricted subset.  No other purpose has been specified.
For NomCom to do more than what RFC 5680 specifies would be to over step its
bounds.

Tom Walsh
Chair, NomCom 2010-2011