Re: [ietf] DNS spoofing at captive portals

2010-09-27 09:41:41
I don't see why DNSSEC makes dropping out zones impossible.

All DNSSEC does is to enable the end point to know that there is data
missing. It does not provide the end zone with any way to find the missing
data, nor is there any user interaction that makes any real sense in that
situation.

But the real answer to the problem is that the root zone signature is not
the root of trust for my DNS, it is the root of trust for the ICANN DNS.

myDNS = icannDNS - maliciousDNS

I plan to publish my root cert for my zone at the apex of my DNS zone and
establish that out-of-band as the trust anchor for every device and
application in my network.

Hosts in my network will determine that a secure DNS resolver is available
for the zone via the ESRV mechanism I recently proposed and establish a
secure tunnel with my DNS resolver via a protocol TBS, but probably based on
either the TLS handshake to establish a ticket containing all necessary
server-side state or the existing (but rather old and needing much revision)
TKEY mechanism and either TSIG or a cryptographic packaging mechanism TBS.

It would also be possible to adapt either DTLS or IPSEC. But neither of
those is well suited to use as a security wrapper for DNS for reasons I
won't go into here.