Re: [ietf] DNS spoofing at captive portals

2010-09-28 10:21:03
The most frustrating part about DNSSEC is that trying to pin down what it is
and what it is not, what it is trying to do and what it is not is like
trying to nail jello to a wall.

Whenever an issue is raised with the DNSSEC protocol, someone immediately
shoots back the reply 'well we are not trying to solve that problem'. Which
is of course really easy when there is no clear statement of what real world
security issues that DNSSEC is trying to deal with.

Blocking one attack does not come close to justifying the cost of DNSSEC
deployment.

Is DLV a part of DNSSEC or not? I am not sure.

DLV is presented as being a stopgap, an interim measure to go away with full
DNSSEC deployment.

What I do know is that I want to use secure DNS in devices that are not
capable of performing public key cryptography. And even if every end point
device is capable of performing RSA2048 operations in acceptable time, I do
not want to push my trust management criteria out to my network endpoints.