Re: Abandoning draft-ietf-simple-interdomain-scaling-analysis

2010-09-29 09:16:53
On 9/29/10 7:57 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

On 29/09/10 14:46, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
Folks,

the following draft was IETF LCed in July 2009.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-simple-interdomain-scaling-analysis/

At this point, there does not seem to be interest in progressing this
draft within the SIMPLE WG any longer (this issue has been discussed on
the SIMPLE list recently). Therefore, I intend to move this draft to the
"dead" state in the ID tracker shortly. If you have any comments, please
let me know.

Just wondering why (I don't recall the result of the IETF LC) but I
thought this was a useful document. (Assuming the figures are
reasonably accurate, which I don't know.)

The SIMPLE WG had some discussion about raising the I-D up a level so
that it would talk about more general issues with scaling of presence
systems (instead of only SIP-based systems) and their impact on the
broader Internet. That discussion was motivated in part by the existence
of non-SIP-based presence technologies, as well as a document that I was
working on in parallel with the above-referenced I-D:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-xmpp-presence-analysis

Avshalom Houri and I had some productive discussions about how to pursue
that higher-level approach and we still think it would be good to write
such a document, but (1) IIRC the SIMPLE WG didn't think it was worth
devoting energy to that effort and (2) Avshalom and I didn't have the
cycles to work on it.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre