Fwd: iOS IMAP IDLE (Standard "Push Email") Deficiency, Explanation?

2010-10-04 12:19:17
Maybe my hubris got the better of me, but I didn't bargain for a complete
surprise.  Well, anyway, we know now why Apple does not implement IMAP IDLE in
iOS.  I've clearly been spending too much time around the IETF, to find Mr.
Job's explanation to be completely incomprehensible. :-)

(Please let me know if the Message/RFC822 part didn't come through right -
thanks.)

I want to ask anybody who feels strongly to the contrary to please not attack
the sender (and the messenger either if you can help it :-) ).  I guess I'm
stuck waiting 15 minutes for new mail notifications, and running my battery
down.  I'm not forwarding my mail anywhere or running Exchange (or a clone).
The latter, in particular, is a power-hungry option ...

Cheers,
Sabahattin
--- Begin Message ---
Purely technical. IMAP IDLE is a power hungry standard that is not great for
mobile devices.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 4, 2010, at 3:29 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu