Re: Fwd: iOS IMAP IDLE (Standard "Push Email") Deficiency, Explanation?

2010-10-05 11:34:42
Am Montag 04 Oktober 2010, 19:18:22 schrieb Sabahattin Gucukoglu:

Hi,

Well,  Steve Jobs is partly correct. (I avoided bothering him with my
response)

On one hand IMAP IDLE has absolute minimal requirements with regards to
protocol complexity which helps preserving power.

On the other hand IMAP IDLE is so limited in features that it has also
negative effects on resource usage including user experience and power
consumption.

1. IMAP IDLE can only monitor a single folder. Using multiple connections in
order to circumvent this limitation is inefficient.

-->3 years ago I drafted an RFC which tries to solve this issue while
remaining simple.

http://www.erfrakon.de/konold/draft-konold-imap-idleplus-05.txt

2. IMAP IDLE lacks support for non mail folders e.g. clients are interested in
watching calendars, addressbooks, todos etc.

--> I tired successfully with warpping these groupware related objects as XML
objects within imap messages  (Kolab architecture)

http://kolab.org/doc/concept-draft-cvs20060921.pdf

3. IMAP IDLE requires a permanent stateful TCP connection and has no support
for efficient reconnects. This means that clients cannot switch off the IP
stack in order to preserve power and that loss of connection leads to extra
bandwidth and processing requirements. This is not only bad for mobile
clients.

All the above issues are tried to be addressed by the LEMONADE group e.g.
IMAP CONDSTORE.

http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/quick.html and
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lemonade/charter/

I am personally not really happy about the technical approach and progress
sofar but I have been told by others who know much better than me to stop my
above efforts and wait patiently for the results of the LEMONADE group.

Yours,
-- martin

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126