RE: Gen-ART LC/Telechat Review of draft-ietf-isis-genapp-03.txt

2010-10-06 15:05:02
Ben -

The points you make below make sense to me - but I am not sure how we
get the stronger review process associated w "Expert Review" and at the
same time require that some public document exist for each application.
Are you saying that we can require both? I actually thought that was the
intent of "Specification Required" - but your comments suggest
otherwise.

I really wish RFC 5226 addressed this more robustly...

   Les

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Campbell [mailto:ben(_at_)nostrum(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:55 AM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
Cc: draft-ietf-isis-genapp(_dot_)all(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org; General
Area Review
Team; The IETF
Subject: Re: Gen-ART LC/Telechat Review of draft-ietf-isis-genapp-
03.txt

On Oct 6, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) wrote:

[...]

From RFC 5226:

"Specification Required - Values and their meanings must be
          documented in a permanent and readily available public
          specification, in sufficient detail so that
interoperability
          between independent implementations is possible.  When
used,
          Specification Required also implies use of a Designated
          Expert, who will review the public specification..."

We deliberately chose "Specification Required" because:

a)It requires a public specification
b)It allows the public specification to be other than an RFC
c)It requires expert review

Completing the sentence in your quote: "who will review the public
specification and evaluate whether it is sufficiently clear to
allow
interoperable implementations."

My understanding of "Specification Required" is that the expert
review
is merely to ensure that the documentation is sufficiently complete
and
readable to implement in an interoperable way. That review is not
intended to ensure compliance to other criteria specified in the
draft.

However, the draft includes some specific criteria for GENINFO
applications. If you want the reviewer to enforce those criteria,
then
I think you need at least "Expert Review". OTOH, in RFC5226, the
"expert review" policy has less to say about the required level of
documentation, so the draft might require some more meat in that
area.

This is a bit distressing - because you are suggesting that RFC 5226
doesn't define a category which is appropriate for our usage - which
means we have to try to define a unique policy. I am not quite sure
how
to do that with sufficient authority and minimal controversy.

My understanding is that RFC 5226 is specific to IANA considerations
-
so we have attempted to define a clear policy as to how the review
of
code point assignments is done.

Beyond that, it seems clear that a given Application specification
could
specify behavior that might be seen as undesirable e.g. it could
specify
some extremely high rate of updates. Given that we allow application
specification to be defined in public documents from a variety of
sources, I don't see how we could define an enforceable review
policy
for the application specifications. It is at the IANA codepoint
allocation that we have control - and certainly it seems within the
purview of an expert to say "I think your specification is flawed
and
won't approve the allocation of codepoints until the issues of
concern
are addressed".

Yes, both "specification required" and "expert review" involve expert
review. But they have significant differences in the scope of the
review. "Specification required" means that the expert should review
make sure the specification is clear enough to be implemented in an
interoperable fashion. It doesn't in any way indicate that the expert
thinks the code point is "good", or that it conforms to the purpose of
the registry. Certainly, the expert could offer advise on issues, but
the registrant would not be under any obligation to follow the advise.

"Expert Review" means that the expert should review a registration to
make sure that it conforms to the criteria set forth in the document
that defined the registry. I really think that is what you are looking
for, particularly from your last sentence above about the expert being
able to block allocation of a flawed code point.

For example, RFC 3563 calls out "Expert Review", and sets a number of
criteria, one of which is the assertion that registrations require
standards actions, or that they require publications from  ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC6 that meant the normal requirements for an RFC.

In your case, I think you need Expert Review, with criteria along the
lines that registrants must meet the requirements of "specification
required", that it must describe its expected rate of updates (and
that
this not be excessive), that it must address any security
considerations, etc.

I note that while RFC3563, which established the IS-IS TLV
Codepoint
registry, says "Expert Review", the review criteria is pretty much
equivalent to "standards action". I'm guessing the only reason it
was
not "standards action" was to allow ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 to submit
specifications, which are to be held to the same standard as a
standards-track RFC, but do not actually get published as such. So
for
practical purposes, the proposed policy for GENINFO is
significantly
weaker than for the parent registry--more so than one might think
from
just looking at the registry itself.

I am not clear on why "Expert Review" is seen as a stronger review
criteria than "Specification Required" - which includes expert
review
as
well as a requirement for a public specification.

Actually, "expert review" doesn't have to be stronger than
specification required. But it can be. It's all a matter of how you
define the review criteria. The difference is, in "expert review" you
get to define the criteria. In "specification required", the criteria
is already defined, and fairly limited.

RFC3563 has has quite strict criteria, thus my comment about it being
"stronger". For all practical purposes, the policy for RFC 3563 is
"standards action" with some very specific exceptions.

[...]

If the revised version of a GENINFO TLV is sent in an LSP with a
different number from the previous version there can be transient
windows where other systems have two copies of information
regarding
the
same application. This may be unavoidable. For completeness we
specify
that the choice of what to do in such transient situations is
implementation specific (undefined). This section does specify
ways
minimize the occurrence/duration of such transient periods.

Does leaving this undefined cause interop issues? If not, then no
problem.

There is no alternative. It is not possible to determine in a
reliable
way which copy is "newer".

Okay

[...]

Since the registration policy is not at least "RFC Required",
there's
no explicit requirement that the public document actually do this.
If
you wish to require them to do it, you will need to state something
that effect. (See previous comment about whether the registration
policy actually enforces that sort of criteria.)

I appreciate your point - but I don't see how we have the authority
place a requirement on a document developed in another standards
body.

You can set criteria for the codepoint allocation, though. Requiring
the specification of a code point to address security seems to be a
reasonable criteria.