Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-10-07 09:07:02
    > From: David Conrad <drc(_at_)virtualized(_dot_)org>

    > ISPs that have routers that are on the edge memory- or CPU-wise should
    > really consider upgrading, as there is likely to be a flood of long
    > prefix IPv4 routes as the markets take effect.

Excellent point. Happily, there are a number of things being worked on that
can help with this, if they succeed and get reasonably widely deployed.

In particular, to the extent that we can separate location and identity (and
there are a number of active schemes which do this), the fractionalization of
the identity namespace (to make maximum utilization of it, since smaller
allocations inevitably mean more efficient utilization, whereas larger one
meak more wastage) would to a certain degree cease to be an issue.

(I say "if they ... get reasonably widely deployed" because if you look at
interoperability issues with unmodified installed base, very patchy
deployment of these new things would leave us unable to really get the full
benefit, in terms of routing table diminuation, because you'd have to keep
advertizing legacy routes to allow legacy equipment to interoperate. We'll
see...)

        Noel