Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-10-08 08:47:43
Let me say this more strongly.  These two defects, "it wasn't economically
feasible ... and it didn't offer any interesting/desirable new capabilities"
were mild compared to an even bigger defect: There simply wasn't a technically
feasible plan on the table for co-existence and intercommunication of IPv4 and
IPv6 networks.

In addition to working our way through the IPv6 adoption and co-existence
process, I think it would be useful to do a little soul-searching and ask
ourselves if we're so smart, how come we couldn't design a next generation IP
protocol and work out a technically viable adoption and co-existence strategy.
The "dual stack" approach implicitly assumed everyone would have both an IPv6
and an IPv4 address.  If everyone has both kinds of addresses, that implicitly
asserts there's no visible shortage of IPv4 addresses, which is contrary to
fundamental reason IPv6 is needed.  Further, although some scenarios suggest
IPv4 usage will start to decline steeply once IPv6 transport, products and
services are widely available, the safer bet is that IPv4 networks will persist
for a fairly long time, say 20 to 50 years.

Steve

On Oct 8, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>

What doesn't work well is to have everyone decide for himself how to
change the architecture.

The reason we have/had a free-for-all on the architectural front is that the
IETF's choice for architectural direction (15 years ago) was non-viable (i.e.
wrong); it wasn't economically feasible (in terms of providing economic
benefits to early adopters, or otherwise having an economically viable
deployment plan), and it didn't offer any interesting/desirable new
capabilities (which was a big factor in the former).

With an 'approved direction' that didn't work, having people go off in their
own directions instead was an inevitable corollary.

Which is why I am urging the IETF to be _realistic_ now, and accept the world
as it actually is, and set direction from here on out based on that, and not
on what we wish would happen. Which means, for instance, that any design for
architecural change (e.g. introducing separation of location and identity) is
going to be somewhat ugly, because we don't have a clean sheet of paper to
work with. It also means accepting that we have multiple naming domains at
the end-end level, and will for the forseeable future; and trying to work out
an architectual direction for coping with that ('get rid of it' doesn't
count). Etc, etc, etc.

      Noel