Re: existing (and questionable) application designs [was Re: US DoD and IPv6]

2010-10-08 17:43:41
All true, but based on the information available at the time, I am not sure
how a different outcome would have been arrived at.

Having a group to make unpopular but right decisions always seems a great
idea in hindsight. But there is a real practical difficulty distinguishing
such groups form similar groups whose ideas are both unpopular and wrong.

The reason the IAB has no authority is that the selection mechanism is
designed to ensure that it has no accountability. No accountability means no
authority.

What you seem to be saying is that the IETF should have made deployment a
much higher priority in the design of IPv6. Which is what I have been saying
for years.

I treat deployment as an engineering problem. I have been constructing
models and running simulations to test various approaches to deployment
since 1992.

I can construct a plausible deployment model for IPv6 based on NAT boxes.
But I can't see a plausible model which does not involve NAT44, NAT46 and
NAT66 during the transition period and since I am anticipating that lasting
around thirty years, I can't see much point in modeling what comes after.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Keith Moore