Re: IETF-ad-hominem (Was: Re: US DoD and IPv6)

2010-10-08 17:42:54

On 10/6/2010 10:04 PM, Richard L. Barnes wrote:
NEW NON-IETF LIST ANNOUNCEMENT

IETF Ad Hominem Discussions

This group is dedicated to the discussion of the personal flaws of IETF
participants.

Such a fertile thread you've created.  So much to play with...

If I want to say that this new list is a foolish idea and you are being hopelessly naive in creating it -- and thereby I am crossing into ad homimen... or am I -- must I do that on the new list that I disapprove of or should I do it here, where its formation is announced?

To the extent that there is a hint of seriousness to my post, I'll merely note that expecting folks to a) acknowledge that they are making an ad hominem, and b) choose to move to another venue is, ummm... a tad idealistic, given the emotions and style that tend to be present in a poster who is making ad hominem comments.

So I applaud your goal, but can't imagine its being achieved.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking