Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-08 15:57:13
+1

Bob

On Oct 8, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Another +1 from me.

And with respect to the alleged mistake made 15 years ago, two facts
may help:

1. The transition model was complete - because it was based on vendors
and ISPs supporting dual stack globally well *before* IPv4 exhaustion.
It's because that didn't happen that we have a bit of a panic now.
It didn't happen because short term economic incentives triumphed
over enlightened self interest. Fine, lesson learned, let's
move on, which the ISPs are now doing.

2. There is, mathematically and logically, no 'backwards compatible'
IP with bigger addresses than IPv4. That's because IPv4 doesn't
contain any provision for extensible addresses.  So please let's
not hear complaints that IPvN isn't backwards compatible; it never
could have been and never will be, and that is the fault of
the IPv4 design. So the issue of interworking between legacy
IPv4-only systems and the world of bigger addresses is an
unavoidable fact of the physical universe. Which is why BEHAVE
is currently doing NAT64.

Regards
  Brian Carpenter