Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-15 02:14:39

Le 15 oct. 2010 à 01:47, Joel Jaeggli a écrit :

On 10/11/10 7:40 AM, Rémi Després wrote:

Le 9 oct. 2010 à 02:50, Fred Baker a écrit :
That's not limited to Germany. Would that dtag.de would use 172.16/12
rather than 10/8 or 192.168/16, as the latter two seem to find their way
into so many home configurations.

Having the same prefix on each side of the residential NAT could be a real
pain...

With my understanding of how NATs work, I don't see why.
Could you elaborate?

I can cause problems, it doesn't have to... there's a reason why nat
rewriting occurs before forwarding in for example linux iptables.

if you expect to connect to host in a overlapping assignment you're
going to have a problem but I think that's assumed.

Reaching hosts beyond a NAT44 should quite naturally be done only with global
IPv4 addresses.
Problems can occur with some CPEs that don't comply with RFC 5382, and maybe
with misconfigured split DNSs, but this isn't IMHO sufficient a reason to ban
some configurations that do work today. (AFAIK, some mobile phones include
NAT44s, and work on mobile networks that assign 10.x.y.z addresses).
Bugged CPEs should be fixed or replaced (BTW is there some indication of which
proportion of the installed base can't work with possible external/internal
address overlaps?)

In my understanding, although NAT444 + 6rd is far from being the only model to
offer IPv6 service while dealing with the IPv4 address shortage, IT IS a
deployable approach.
For some ISPs, it has a very good performance/cost ratio.

Regards,
RD

Regards,
RD