Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-18 03:10:38
 Hi,

Windows 7: enabled by default. Mac OS: enabled by default. Linux:
whatever your distro does. I fail to see your point.
Windows XP: disabled by default.  Has been sold on the majority of
Netbooks well into 2010, and Netbooks were 1/3rd of the PC sales.

By the time end consumers feel an actual *need* to run IPv6, popular computer magazines will have the "hot, new, hacker trick" 'cmd' -> 'ipv6 install'. But by that same time, people will probably not even remember the acronym "XP". Hopefully so, for all of us :-)

IPv6-capable beta firmwares for Fritz DSL-routers exist only for the
two most recent models 7390 and 7270(v?).  Other models (like the 7112/7113)
or 7170, 7150) do *NOT* have sufficient resources to run IPv6 -- their
flash memory is close to full as well as their RAM when they're running.

So you need to buy new IT equipment every n years, where "n" is by preference (for the vendor) a low number? I'm shocked. BTW, switching your DSL contract after the 2-year-handcuff of your favourite operator will give you a new model for free.

Stefan

-Martin

--
Stefan WINTER