Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-15 04:22:52
 Hi,

Huh?  Hardly anyone support IPv6 these days.

Sony KDL40*X70* internet-enabled LED-LCD-TV, 2010, IPv4-only (bought 7/2010)

My TV is "bought 2009" and doesn't have any internet at all. And I don't care (much). It's a TV. Of all my gadgets, the TV is on my lowest priority for getting an IPv6 connectivity.

Western Digital MyBookWorld2 HomeNAS, 2009, IPv4-only

I don't mean to criticise your buying decision, but if you are so serious about IPv6 connectivity, why didn't you just buy a QNAP device? Comes with IPv6 just fine.

Nintendo WII appears to be IPv4-only

I do mean to criticise your buying decision: Playstation rocks :-) No, it won't give you IPv6 either; but it gets close to the TV argument. Probably my PS3 and TV will be dead (or administratively obsoleted) before I get headaches about them not reaching IPv6-only Firmware Update services etc. - because these devices still do dual-stack just fine.

most home users in Germany can not even get IPv6 from their ISP,
even when they had an IPv6-capable DSL-router.

Excuse me, but this is completely 1990s argumentation. I have native IPv4+IPv6 with a commodity DSL provider since years. 2006, IIRC. And my own /48 with it. And the operator works Germany wide. With reasonable costs; my flatrate costs 9,50 EUR per month (though that's a legacy tariff, you can't order it any more). If you want IPv6, just go order it. I keep hearing this very argument over and over again - and it is simply not at all true; at least not in Germany.

I'm not affiliated with the provider, other than being a satisfied customer: http://www.titan-dsl.de

What capabilities there are available on the internet backbone
or what could be enabled on newer operating systems by sophisticated
end users doesn't matter much, if most of the "internet-enabled"
end user equipment, that is being sold to consumers, is still IPv4-only.

Windows 7: enabled by default. Mac OS: enabled by default. Linux: whatever your distro does. I fail to see your point.

What we desperately need is factory-enabled transparent
internetworking on all _NEW_ networking equipment and internet-enabled
gadgets and appliances.  As long as IPv4 and IPv6 are seperate worlds
the hen-and-egg stalemate is going to continue.  And the useful
lifetime of all brand-new IPv4-only equipment that is produced by
the electronic entertainment industry is about 5-15 years.

The main point that needs attention is router equipment, IMHO. There's a Fritz!Box beta firmware for IPv6 right now; when it's final, pushing that out will fix the deployment of IPv6 for most of Germany (as they happen to be quite popular there).

Dates are arguable, but: I suspect it will be + 15 years before content providers will switch to IPv6-only. If they do so before, this will reduce the "useful lifetime" of your already-bought electronics a bit. Hooray for the industry: they can sell new stuff to you then. That kind of thinking is probably not what you as a customer appreciate, but it's just fine if seen from the other side :-)

Stefan

-Martin

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la
Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1