Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-15 03:55:02

Le 15 oct. 2010 à 10:29, Masataka Ohta a écrit :

Remi Respres wrote:

Problems can occur with some CPEs that don't comply with RFC 5382,

RFC5382 is, by no means, a deployed standard.

Not even a standard-track document (but nevertheless useful to comply with).

Beside, assuming that ISPS assign 10/8 IPv4 addresses, the only customers to be
concerned seem to be those:
- whose NAT doesn't comply with RFC 5382
- assign 10/8 addresses internally (not typical for default behaviors of
unmanaged CPEs)

In my understanding, although NAT444 + 6rd is far from being the
only model to offer IPv6 service while dealing with the IPv4
address shortage, IT IS a deployable approach.
For some ISPs, it has a very good performance/cost ratio.

That's an argument similar to ones heard for these 15 years.

Which, of course, isn't sufficient for it to be wrong.

RD

                                              Masataka Ohta