Re: can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-08 17:45:27
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

1. The transition model was complete - because it was based on vendors
and ISPs supporting dual stack globally well *before* IPv4 exhaustion.

Huh?  Hardly anyone support IPv6 these days.

Sony KDL40*X70* internet-enabled LED-LCD-TV, 2010, IPv4-only (bought 7/2010)

Western Digital MyBookWorld2 HomeNAS, 2009, IPv4-only

Nintendo WII appears to be IPv4-only

95% of all home-DSL-Routers in Germany IP (100% from the folks I know)
  are IPv4 only.

most home users in Germany can not even get IPv6 from their ISP,
even when they had an IPv6-capable DSL-router.

What capabilities there are available on the internet backbone
or what could be enabled on newer operating systems by sophisticated
end users doesn't matter much, if most of the "internet-enabled"
end user equipment, that is being sold to consumers, is still IPv4-only.

What we desperately need is factory-enabled transparent
internetworking on all _NEW_ networking equipment and internet-enabled
gadgets and appliances.  As long as IPv4 and IPv6 are seperate worlds
the hen-and-egg stalemate is going to continue.  And the useful
lifetime of all brand-new IPv4-only equipment that is produced by
the electronic entertainment industry is about 5-15 years.

-Martin