can we please postpone the ipv6 post-mortem?

2010-10-08 12:02:48
everyone--

IPv6 may have been born with a developmental disability, but we're not dealing
with a corpse yet.  The patient is still alive, getting better, and with a bit
of love and proper care, might yet grow up to make better and brighter music
than IPv4.

Maybe I'm being overly sentimental and using anthropomorphism inappropriately
here, but really folks-- isn't it a bit unseemly to be arguing over how we went
so "wrong" with IPv6-- and how we could do ever so much better the *next* time
we get to reinvent the Internet if we avoid all the killing mistakes we made in
bringing IPv6 up-- while there are, today, more people than ever before taking
what are perceived to be enormous risks actually making the v4->v6 transition
start to happen?

--
james woodyatt <jhw(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering