Re: IETF-ad-hominem (Was: Re: US DoD and IPv6)

2010-10-07 11:28:07
It is not an ad-hominem argument. And ad-hominem is only invalid as a form
of logical argument, it is actually legitimate when considering facts and
axioms.

Strictly speaking Ad-Hominem would be 'that idea must suck, X likes it'.

What was stated was 'your refusal to be reasonable on this issue is the
reason why IPv6 is not deployed'.

Which in this particular case happens to be the fact.

For the past fifteen years, the IPv6 deployment strategy has been based on
features. Which is a bad strategy because applications want to have as few
dependencies on the details of the underlying layers as is possible.

In particular there have been people who have argued against making NAT
transparent in case it is a little too good and delays deployment of IPv6
further.

After fifteen years the market has rejected that approach. Carrier grade NAT
has a much higher priority than IPv6 for the product managers of all the
router layer companies who send people to IETF.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Richard L. Barnes <rbarnes(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com>