Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-10-05 23:19:22
On Oct 5, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

From: Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>

So what %-age of traffic across major backbones is now IPv6?
             ^^^^^
From what I've read, it's about the same size as the IPv4 in 1992

I don't think so... unless you meant 'total number of packets', not
'percentage' (as I asked).

The point is that backbone traffic is still mostly IPv4 - and with the IPv4
address space runout in only a few months, that's unlikely to change
substantially between now and then. So whatever's going to happen when IPv4
addresses run out, a mass conversion of traffic to IPv6 probably isn't it.

I think the demise of IPv4 will be a lot like the demise of BITNET.

Keith