Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-10-10 18:03:21

On 10/10/2010 3:44 PM, Steve Crocker wrote:
Mebbe.  I confess I didn't study the details of the competing proposals at
the time because I was confident the people who were heavily involved surely
had things under control.

Alas...

Along with the imposition of ASN.1's complexities as the MIB format, for "compatibility" between the competing network management protocols (SNMP and CMOT), IPv6 was an early demonstration of the problems that accrue from treating technical design as a political process, trying to accommodate too many factions.

Such accommodations seem to rarely provide the long-term benefit that is intended, but instead consistently add complexity and limitations.

Politicized technical processes rarely allow good folk to adequately "have things in control". (I'm sure that your experiences on the ICANN Board and its SSAC have not disclosed this unexpected fact of life to you yet, so I thought it worth pointing out.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking