Re: US DoD and IPv6

2010-10-12 16:35:09
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

The problem is not merely marketing in the sense of messaging. The problem
with each one of the stalled IETF infrastructure upgrades is deployment
deadlock.

Specifically there is a cycle of ungranted requests. Alice has no incentive
to upgrade her infrastructure because she cannot use any new feature until
Bob upgrades. Meanwhile Bob has no incentive to upgrade ahead of Alice.

Mere exhortations from the great and the good have very limited effect.

It's interesting to note that, with monopoly by telco, deployment
of ITU standards was almost automatic.

However, on the Internet with full competitive backbone and the end
to end principle, upgrading has been occurring from the end.

For example, ftp servers and clients are upgraded to web servers
and clients at the ends without any changes to the backbone.

Subnetting was an issue within end sites.

NAT is another example.

What I want as a consumer is a box that enables me to do things like peer to
peer video chat efficiently and without all my traffic going in and out of
some peer to peer network whose real function is no more than NAT bypass.

Upgrading NAT boxes in consumer houses and edge ISPs by end to end
NAT gives you the environment you want.

                                                Masataka Ohta