Re: [Full-disclosure] IPv6 security myths

2010-10-26 18:03:32

"David" == David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> Partly. I also expect "VPN" use to get reduced, since 90% of VPNs
    >> are really just remote-access systems necessary due to NAT, not
    >> security.

    David> In my experince, VPNs are used for secure connections between
    David> two private networks ... the existance of NAT is incidental
    David> to the objectives of the network owners. Firewalls, yes, NAT,
    David> n/a.

Of course, I'm not rejecting this use. That's the 10% that I didn't mention.
If you take the pool of IPv4 speaking endpoints that have IPsec running,
I'm claiming that 90% of those are doing some kind of remote-access
situation.  While you might argue the remaining 10% of site-to-site VPNs
might overshadow the 90% in terms of backbone traffic, that wasn't my
point.

Further, about every third question the Freeswan/openswan support gets
is basically:
   how do I run IPsec when both my gateways are behind NAPT?
   (and I want to use IKEv1 with main mode with PSK auth...)

The answer is that you can't do it if your identity is ID_IPV4.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.